Commission Totem II
IGNORE THAT PRICE Many projects start well below that number.
COMMISSIONS are WELCOME ! This is not true for many artists, but in my case, I thrive on them. I love meeting you, exploring the process, discussing the possibilities, designing entirely new pieces, and of course, building the work. So don't be shy: Call Me.
I often compare the process of commissioning sculpture, to the process of hiring an architect to design and oversee the construction of a home. It is a logical progression from very general design concerns and criteria, to a highly specific final completion of the house. Only, with sculpture, it is a great deal simpler. The process is very tangible and follows a simple progression that goes something like this:
- You get excited about having a custom piece made for you.
- You carefully review my portfolio site and find some favorite forms, colors, or techniques.
- Visit www.peterdiepenbrock.com for the complete portfolio review: see the link below.
- You have a site, or some optional sites in mind, or are open to suggestions.
- You call me. I learn about you, and your thoughts on the project.
- We discuss budget, size, variables, (smaller interior commissions can start at 5000)
- I ask for a drawing and design fee (scope dependent)
- I ask questions, visit when needed, sketch, think, model make, sketch some more, then
- I produce a proposal that includes costing, terms, scheduling etc.
- We confirm costing and logistics
- If my proposal meets with your approval, we get started with a 50% deposit.
- I build the piece (8-16 weeks)
- Progress payment 25%
- I detail and complete the piece.
- Final payment is due 25%
- The shipping is arranged under a separate agreement.
- The site is prepared as needed.
- The work is delivered.
- The work is installed. (sometimes with your local contractor or crew, with my guidance and technical assistance)